The month of October offers a full schedule of sports and special events. Those events include:
- October 3rd-26th the annual Pier-to-Pier Fishing Challenge. This is a friendly competition between the Russell-Fields City Pier and the M. B. Miller County Pier. Over $5,000 in prizes will be awarded. Each weekend beginning at 5am Friday morning through Sunday at 5pm anglers can compete in the challenge which includes 4 species: King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Flounder and Pompano. There are prizes for kids and adults.
- October 1st-5th the 14th Annual Autumn Thunder Beach Rally, also known as “The Most Biker Friendly FREE Rally in the U.S.”, rolls into Panama City Beach. Thousands of motorcycles and motorcycle enthusiast will visit several venues throughout the beach with each offering riders a different environment with unique amenities. www.thunderbeachproductions.com
- October 10th-12th Pirates attempt to invade the City with the “Pirates of the High Seas Fest”. Excitement from east-to-west will provide plenty of excitement for the family. The Grand Lagoon joins forces in the event with entertainment, cannons and fireworks on the water of the Grand Lagoon on Friday the 10th as they prepare to invade the City on the 11th. Fearing no enemy, the City will be partying Friday on the west end, as usual, at Pier Park with entertainment, Captain Davey’s Magical Pirate Show featuring Angelica the Mermaid kid’s zones, and second line parade. Saturday the 11th, the Run for the Treasure 5K, 10K and fun run benefitting Girls Inc will take place at St. Andrews State Park (to enter: www.goracego.com) and the rest of the day tells a whole different story as the annual invasion of the City takes place. The Krewe of Dominique Youx battles the Pirates in an attempt to save the Mayor and the City. Festivities include Pirate Dance Show, Noah Wells Illusionist of the Year Show, music entertainment, Captain Davey’s Magical Pirate Show, the main event Parade and fireworks. Sunday the 12th is all about the family with entertainment of teen favorite’s Alex Angelo, Megan & Liz, Cassio Monroe followed by the beach ball drop, all at Pier Park. There will also be a scavenger hunt leading up to the event.
- October 11th the Grand Lagoon will be hosting a fishing tournament in conjunction with Captain Anderson’s Marina and Half Hitch Tackle. No entry fee! www.halfhitch.com
- October 11th-12th close to 100 youth soccer teams will compete in the Bay United Soccer “Endless Summer Classic” at Frank Brown Park and Aaron Bessant Park. www.bayunitedsoccer.org
- October 17th-18th The Band Perry, Foghat, Outlaws, Blues Traveler and others perform at the annual Panama City Beach Seafood & Music Festival at the Aaron Bessant Park Amphitheater. www.pcbeach.org
- October 18th the 9th Annual Buddy Walk-ACTON Up With Downs will be held at Frank Brown Park. www.actonupwithdowns.org
- October 22nd-26th the Frank Brown Park Aquatic Center will play host to the USA Masters Synchronized Swimming Nationals. Close to 300 synchronize swimmers from as far as Japan and Canada will compete. www.usasynchro.org
- October 25th welcomes the “Making Strides for Breast Cancer” 5K at Pier Park www.active.com and the “Tricker or Trek 5K at the Conservation Park www.panhandlerunners.com
- October 26th-29th Hombre Golf Club will play host to the NCCAA-National Christian College Athletic Association’s Men & Women Golf National Championships. www.nccaa.org
October 29th-November 2nd Panama City Beach welcomes the 16th consecutive year of Ironman Florida. Athletes from over 40 states and 40 countries will compete to become an “Ironman” with qualifications for the finals in Hawaii. www.ironman.com